In this blog, I will be talking about my individual reflection on a Supreme Court video I watched and what I learned.
![]() |
| Exterior of the Supreme Court building |
To begin, I always thought of America as the most powerful country in the world. In this video it states that the Supreme Court is considered the most powerful court in the world so that thought for me has been set in stone.
The Supreme Court is nothing like the state or appellate courts, unlike those two, the Supreme Court gets
to pick and choose which cases they want to take on. Within the cases they do take, their only goal is to find if the situation is constitutional or not. The justices MUST strictly follow the guidelines of the Constitution justice's rule list which requires the highest amount of mental honor because no matter what they personally think, justices must go by what the Constitution says.
![]() |
| Supreme Court justices (present day) |
A fact that I found to be really neat was that throughout all two-hundred and fifty years of our country being established we have only had one-hundred total justices. This shows how rare it is for a new justice to be sworn into a seat. One of the justices in the video mentioned that when he first achieved his seat his fellow justices told him a variety of different amounts of time it takes to really get used to this role. It makes me think about how challenging the job can get at times, especially with the pressure of the public wanting a specific outcome that could not be the Constitutional way.
Lastly, I want to mention how busy these justices are. They receive about seven-thousand cases to consider annually and only accept one-hundred of those so they are always busy with a case 24/7.


No comments:
Post a Comment