Watching this documentary, I kept coming back to one question: who actually counts as a citizen, and what rights come with that?
It sounds simple. It wasn't.
After the Civil War ended, the North and South couldn't even agree on what "Reconstruction" meant. And the status of four million formerly enslaved people was left hanging in the balance.
![]() |
| Book on this documentary |
Lincoln's assassination changed everything. Just two days after Appomattox, he'd floated the idea of voting rights for Black veterans and "very intelligent" Black men. Then Booth shot him, and Andrew Johnson, a Southern Unionist who despised the planter class but wasn't exactly a champion of Black rights either, took over.
What struck me most was watching freed people's first priority after emancipation. It wasn't politics. It was family. People placed newspaper ads and walked for miles just trying to find relatives sold away from them years earlier.
Then there was the land question. The Freedmen's Bureau controlled over 850,000 acres of Confederate land, and for a moment, "40 acres and a mule" felt real. Johnson crushed that by ordering the land handed back to pardoned Confederates.
I found the Black Codes genuinely infuriating to learn about. Laws that only applied to African Americans, forcing them into labor contracts or risking arrest, even letting children be taken and apprenticed out. It's hard not to see that as slavery wearing a new outfit.
And then the violence. The Klan. The Memphis riots, where 46 Black residents were killed and every Black church and school in the area was burned to the ground.
What gives me hope, honestly, is what came next. Black male voter turnout jumped from under 1% to over 80% in 1867. Half a million Black men voted in 1868 despite open intimidation.
The documentary called those three years some of the most hopeful, momentous, and frightening in American history.
I believe that.
AI DISCLOSURE: I used Claude AI to generate this blog using my notes I wrote myself, alone. I added first person views and links within the blog.

No comments:
Post a Comment